Despite best efforts, unexpected delays have pushed back the King George VI Lift Bridge re-opening date, to June 25, 2021. These delays are a result of the challenges associated with doing business during the COVID-19 pandemic. Health and Safety protocols and provincial social distancing requirements have extended completion timelines. Additionally, COVID-19 related disruptions to the supply chain, which continues to affect various global sectors, have resulted in material delivery delays. Here is a copy of the full media release from Elgin County Warden Tom Marks.
Notwithstanding the unfortunate delays, it still remains a hive of busy activity onsite, and crews are also scheduled to work throughout the weekend. Here is a list of tasks continuing to be worked upon:
- A new wearing surface on the bridge’s sidewalk is being installed
- New windows have been installed in the west control tower, and are currently being installing in the east control tower
- Wiring installation of the bridge control systems and connection of all panels/motors continues
- Electrical wiring to the new traffic gates continues
- Mechanical crews are continuing the installation of the east high speed machinery
- Installation of the new architectural bridge girder mounted post top lights are planned to be installed on Friday
Next week’s planned works will include:
- Continue installation of high speed machinery
- Continue crack injections on the wingwalls and abutments
- Continue installing and connecting east and west bridge control panels
- Have the west bridge span operational and raised by Friday, May 21st.
More Businesses Open for Takeout!
Despite the Provincial Government having announced earlier today an extension to the Stay at Home Order until June 2nd, it continues to be critically important to support local and help our businesses through these difficult times! Here are some of restaurants that remain open and are available for takeout!
Gt’s On The Beach
Get you summer fix, as Gt’s On The Beach is re-opening for takeout! Starting this Tuesday May 18th noon-7pm daily they will be accepting online orders and payment this year or you can call 519-782-4555. Full menu and drinks are also available for take out and back by popular demand this year is perch! Check out the menu here: www.gtsonthebeach.com
Two Forks restaurant is back offering takeout starting this Friday May 14th @ 4pm! This restaurant is the ultimate classy casual, serving craft beer, cocktails and creative dishes using local ingredients. Follow them on Facebook for menu updates. www.facebook.com/twoforks295 Opening for takeout Friday 4-9, Saturday 12-9, Sunday 12-5
Main Street Taqueria
Main Street is back serving authentic Mexican cuisine including delicious tacos, burritos and tamales with fresh and local ingredients. Follow them on Facebook for hours of operation as sometimes they run out of food due to popularity! www.facebook.com/mainstreettaqueria
More than ever before let’s all continue to be #ElginStrong and stay safe!