Today’s #BridgingForTheFuture featured photo showcases one of the new span locks installed, that provides the force required to lock the leaf of a movable bridge, prevents deflection of the leaf during traffic movement, and prevents the bridge from opening accidentally.
Here is a list of tasks that are ongoing or were completed this week:
- Low speed machinery in the east pit was installed
- Continuing the installation of conduit throughout the east control tower and trunnion pit
- High speed machinery base, gear boxes, and line shafts were installed and aligned in both towers
- Span locks were delivered to site and installation has begun
- Traffic gate towers have been installed
Next week’s anticipated works will include:
- Continue installing the conduit throughout the control towers and trunnion pits
- Begin crack injections on the wingwalls and abutments
- Pour the east counterweight concrete blocks
- Begin factory acceptance testing of the electrical panels
Today’s photo from the Port Stanley Women’s Institute and courtesy of Elgin County Archives, showcases the King George VI Lift Bridge opening for the tug “Morgan”, which was the first tug boat to have the bridge opened for passage upstream, 1939.
What’s Open During Province Wide Stay At Home Order
Yesterday the Provincial Government announced a Stay at Home Order that went into at 12:01 am today, that is intended to be kept into place for at least four weeks. Now more then ever it is important to support local and help our businesses community through these difficult times! Here is a brief outline of what is open and available at this time in Port Stanley.
- Restaurants are open for TAKEOUT only. Another way to support your restaurants is to purchase a gift certificate for later use, ‘like’ their pages on Facebook, give them a positive review online, or refer them to a friend!
- Small retail businesses are open for CURBSIDE pick-up only. Please check websites or Facebook pages for current hours of operations. Many businesses have shop online options.
- Salons, fitness and personal health services are unfortunately CLOSED, however this is a good time to purchase gift certificates for later use.
- The Elgin County Library branches (including Port Stanley) are open for CURBSIDE pick-up only. Please e-mail or call your local branch to make arrangements.
- The beach, playgrounds and other outdoor public areas remain OPEN with social distancing measures in place.
- The Visitors Centre and public washroom buildings remain closed and have not yet opened for the season.
Please do your part and help #SupportElgin and stay #ElginStrong!